Holy Cross Nurse Alumnae to Celebrate 45 Years 07/30/2010 On Saturday, August 7, the Holy Cross Nurse Alumnae Association will celebrate its 45th reunion of graduates of the Holy Cross School of Nursing and the St. Joseph Hospital School of Nursing.
At 2 pm, a special prayer services will be held in the Our Lady of Fatima Chapel at the Mishawaka Campus, with refreshments and tours to follow.
History of the Alumnae Association
1965 – 2010
In 1965, Sister John Francis Hillke, CSC encouraged graduates of the Holy Cross School of Nursing to reunite to foster loyalty and fellowship. The first meeting was held and the Holy Cross Nurse Alumnae Association was born.
In 1970, the Association changed its name to St. Joseph/Holy Cross Nurse Alumnae Association to include both the graduates of St. Joseph Hospital School of Nursing and the graduates of the Holy Cross School of Nursing.
The Caritas Mass was established in 1975 by Mary Schoonover Hamilton “34” in memory of her mother. The Mass is the first Tuesday of every month now being held at the Church of Loretto at Saint Mary’s College. Esther Spychalski “43” has chaired this committee since 1976.
The sister Joan Francis Outstanding Alumnae Award was started in 1976. Rosalie Glaub Campanale “60” was given the responsibility to formulate the guidelines and chair the committee for this award.
Nearly 100 alumnae have served on the Association Board of Directors in the last 45 years with Sharon Hines Landen serving consecutively on the Board since 1966. The Annual Reunion Banquet was started in 1966 and since 1999 has been held at Saint Mary’s College.
History of Saint Joseph’s Hospital & Holy Cross Schools Of Nursing•1907 – Sisters opened the St. Joseph Hospital School of Nursing.
• 1910 – Sister Magdala, C.S.C. became the first graduate of the School of Nursing.
• 1911 – Three students graduated from St. Joseph’s Hospital School of Nursing.
• 1945 – The Sisters of the Holy Cross drew up guidelines to create a Nursing School that had a more uniform curriculum and provided accreditation. Between the years of 1907 and 1952, 523 nurses had graduated from the St. Joseph’s Hospital School of Nursing.
• 1950 – Sister Maria Amadeo Heupel, C.S.C. was the founder and the first director of the Holy Cross Central School of Nursing. Fifty students from the South Bend area were accepted.
• 1951 – The five hospital schools of nursing that made up Holy Cross Central School of Nursing were:
?Good Samaritan Hospital School of Nursing, Kokomo, IN
?St. John’s Hospital School of Nursing, Anderson, IN
?Our Saviors Hospital School of Nursing, Jacksonville, IL
?St. Mary’s Hospital, Cairo, IL
?Central School, South Bend, IN
?All students spent their where all students spent their probationary period in South Bend and rotated through St. Mary’s Hospital in Cairo, IL as part of their Rural Community health education. Holy Cross Central School of Nursing was the largest diploma nursing school in the state of Indiana.
• 1966 – Holy Cross Central School of Nursing changed its name to Holy Cross School of Nursing. The two southern Illinois schools of nursing had stopped sending any students to the Central School and the other schools in Indiana were sending fewer and fewer students. The climate in nursing education was changing and the three-year diploma programs were being phased out.
• 1967 – Holy Cross School of Nursing started accepting laymen, religious brothers and married students. Prior to this, the school was only for single women.
• 1969 – Good Samaritan School of Nursing – Kokomo sent its last students to Holy Cross Central School. Good Samaritan entered into an alliance with Indiana University Kokomo where students were able to obtain an Associate Degree in Nursing. Anderson also changed their program and transferred to an Associate Degree Program at Anderson College. South Bend provided most of the enrollment.
• 1973 – Saint Mary’s College Notre Dame established a four-year Bachelor of Nursing Program.
• 1975 – Holy Cross School of Nursing graduated their last nurses.
In the 25 years of active academic endeavor, Holy Cross Schools of Nursing presented over 2,000 diplomas.