The earlier a person who has suffered a stroke can be treated, the better the outcome will be.
That's why SJRMC implemented Code Stroke for patients who arrive in the ER with stroke-like symptoms. Key steps include:
- EMS performs the Cincinnati Stroke Scale, a simple neurological test on anyone with stroke-like symptoms.
- EMS alerts the ER that a patient with stroke symptoms is on the way.
- ER nurse triages the patient upon arrival to assess for stroke symptoms and initiates a stroke protocol to make sure all appropriate tests are ordered.
- ER physician or ER nurse activates the Code Stroke system, which alerts all the team members including CT, X-ray, EKG, lab, pharmacy and the stroke nurse.
- The neurologist is also contacted to determine immediate treatment for the patient.