Lymphedema is an abnormal accumulation of lymphatic fluid, a clear, colorless fluid that removes bacteria, viruses and waste products from the body in the interstitial tissue that causes swelling, most often in the arms or legs and occasionally in other parts of the body.
The Lymphedema Treatment Clinic at SJRMC offers a comprehensive approach to help patients manage lymphedema. Our staff works closely with Michiana Hematology Oncology and is specially trained to provide treatment sensitive to the needs of oncology patients. The program is a collaboration between Roger Klauer, MD, of Saint Joseph Family Medicine & Acupuncture and Outpatient Rehabilitation at the Mishawaka Campus.
- Swelling in the arms, hands, fingers, shoulders, chest, or legs
- Swelling may occur after an injury, infection or extended airplane trip
- Heavy sensation in arms or legs
- Skin tightness
- Decreased flexibility in the hand, wrist, or ankle
- Difficulty fitting into clothing
- Physiatrist (Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation physician)
- Nurse Navigator
- Physical Therapists
- Appointment Scheduler
- Complete Decongestive Therapy
- Manual lymph drainage
- Compression bandaging
- Skin care
- Elastic compression garment to be worn once the swelling is under control
- Education & home maintenance strategies
Lymphedema Treatment Clinic
Medical Office Building connected to the hospital
611 East Douglas Road, Suite 140
To learn more or schedule an initial visit call 574-335-8500 and ask for Sue Moore.