Discovering that you are about to battle cancer can be frightening, confusing and overwhelming.
To assist our patients and families through the treatment process, SJRMC offers the support of an Oncology Patient Navigator, free of charge, at the Mishawaka Campus and the Plymouth Campus.
Our patient navigators are registered nurses who provide education, emotional support and anticipatory guidance to patients and their families. They serve as advocates and educators to ensure cancer patients receive the support and knowledge they need to navigate through the health care system.
Role of the Navigator
- Help patient understand diagnosis
- Explain procedures, treatments, side effects, roles of physicians and other aspects of care
- Assist with questions to ask your doctors
- Help patients locate support groups
- Provide patient with more detailed educational material pertaining to specific types of cancer and treatment options.
- Offer resource information about financial assistance, home health needs, insurance issues, medication assistance, transportation and other concerns
- Coordinate physician and diagnostic appointments, if needed
- Function as a hospital “go to” person for staff when need be
- Provide patients with a primary point of contact
For more information call 574-231-6474.