Our expert staff is led by Medical Director Paul Desmarais, MD, who is Board Certified in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation and has special interests in amputation and stroke. Our rehabilitation team includes:
- Physical Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Certified Rehabilitation Registered Nurses
- Speech-Language Pathology
- Pastoral Care
- Clinical Dietitians
- Case Management/Social Work
- Medical Consultants
- Respiratory Therapy
Process & Goals
- Each patient is evaluated medically by a physiatrist
- After a multidisciplinary assessment, an individual treatment plan is designed with the help of the patient, family and case manager
- Long and short-term goals and an estimated length of stay are established
The occurrence of a disabling accident of illness has a significant impact on family members and friends. Their involvement is essential for successful discharge planning. Patients discharged from our facility are offered a number of continuing therapy options within our Outpatient Rehabilitation Program. Patients may choose to return to their referring facility for further treatment.
Our comprehensive program is designed to return patients to self-sufficiency in the following areas:
- Bathing, grooming & dressing
- Feeding & swallowing
- Bowel & bladder management
Additional areas of focus include:
- Cognitive reintegration programs to improve memory, reasoning and problem-solving
- Community reintegration program to help patients resume normal activities at home.
- Emotional adjustment programs to support recovery efforts.
Each private inpatient room is designed to accommodate special needs of those with limited function. Rooms include flat screen TVs and full bathrooms with wheelchair accessible showers. Home-like décor and large windows create a healing environment. A Tranquil Meditation Room is available for people of all faiths and denominations and a Family Resource Room includes educational information and computer access for visitors.
The indoor therapy gym has a partial support lift system to assist with balance and ambulation. An outside courtyard has simulated community obstacles and our Terapeutic Apartment offers a home-like setting that enables patients and families to prepare for discharge and greater independence.
The Rehabiliation Institute offers the latest in medical technology, including Electronic Medical Records system, an advanced call system to enables providers to respond immediately to patient requests and thelatest Roam Alert Patient Safety System. With Telemedicine technology, physicians can consult with and assess patients immediately from a remote location.